Sunday, 29 September 2013

WARNING If You Use Ariel Liquidtabs - Please Read!!

As some of you know I'm a soapnut addict, I have been for a few years now. I buy washing powder every few months, as I like to wash the bedcovers in it. Soapnuts just doesn't do that clean fresh bed feeling. I saw the post on supersavvyme / savvycircle about the new Ariel liquid tablets and I applied as i had never used a liquid tab before and was eager to see what the fuss was about.

We got the product and overall was really pleased, until I thought the undoable would happen. While I had gone to collect my son, my other half was looking after my daughter. While he was getting dressed he heard a piecing scream, to find my 2 year old daughter had used the washing machine to climb up and get to the box. The tablet had burst right into her eyes, covering most of the left side of her face. Resulting in Hysterics of screaming and crying as she was in so much pain. After rinsing her eyes under cold water we took her up to A&E which resulted her having two bags of saline solution rinsed though her eyes. Watching your child getting pinned down by your other half and three other nurses while screaming for everyone to stop is utter heartbreaking.

We woke up this morning to her one eye completely swollen and stuck together. We arrived at A&E to have her one eye rinsed again and a yellow dye to be added in to her eye so the doctor could see if there was any damage. The doctor found an abrasion and sent us to an eye specialist to the other side of town. Where again the eye was rinsed and accessed with a lot of drops and lights. Bearing in mind my daughter is only two years out and its a lot to take in she has been a solider thought out all this! We was told she has a scratch on her eye and has to be assessed every 24 hours to make sure it heals and there is no infection. We have been sent home with antibiotics four times a day and a thick cream which has to be applied when she is sleeping to give the best chance of there being no permanent damage to her eye.



I've been told today that  liquidtab chemicals can do more damage than having bleach go in your eye. I find this strange as a bottle of bleach has a safely cap and a box of Ariel tabs has a simple flip up lid???




Please please if you use this liquidtabs, always make sure they are in a locked cupboard away from any danger. These things are dangerous around children and should not be left out even if you think they are out of reach! 

17 comments:

  1. omg that is so dangerous! Your poor baby :( hope she is okay!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. My gosh, your poor daughter, hope her eye heals without damage!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh the poor little darling. Let's hope they listen. Hope she's ok. xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Aww I'm so sorry this happened I bet it was really upsetting! When our health visitor came to see us for the 13 month check up she mentioned this, she said "It's not really about bleach is it - let's face it, they can't get into a bottle of bleach - but washing tablets, they can - lock them away." I always remember her saying this and so I do keep them in a cupboard with a safety catch.
    Having said that, kids will get to things that they are not meant to get to - so your concerns about the box are justified - if the chemicals in the tabs are more dangerous than bleach then that is really something that the manufacturers should look at - maybe a clasp closing or something child-proof would be better.

    I'm really sorry this has happened, and I think it's positive that you have written about this so that other parents are aware. I hope that your little one is better soon and that there is no lasting damage x

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is awful! Hope your little one feels better soon xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh my goodness! I hope she's recovered from this quickly. Thank you for sharing and getting the word out there. x

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh my goodness. Just wow.
    Firstly, I really hope your daughters eye heals asap and that there is no permanent damage. Poor little girl :( I feel so, so sorry for her and it can't be nice for you either, Poor little sweetheart.

    Secondly, I certainly will not be buying those liqitabs. It is not worth the risk. Just wow. Have you contacted ariel? They should have a proper safety lock on the packaging. Wow.. just wow.
    Prayers for your little girl. xx

    http://mumx3x.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  8. Poor Lexi!! Just awful!! If Bleach can have a childproof cap, then they NEED to childproof the box. Really hope Lexi makes a full recovery :( xx

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh my goodness! How horrible is this and I hope your LO is healing nicely. Your right, a proper safety mechanism should be on the lid if they can cause THIS amount of damage.

    xx

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh my goodness, hope she will be ok x

    ReplyDelete
  11. I certainly will not be buying those liqitabs, thats awful. hope she makes a full recovery hun x

    ReplyDelete
  12. I too am on this trial and I too have a 2 year old little girl. This has really hit home for me. I hope she gets better soon xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  13. This is terrible, bless her little heart what a brave little girl!
    I too are using the savvy 3in1 pods, and feel bad as I've given out to friends with little ones and reccommended them. Arial need to do something about packaging as the pods do pop easily! Sending love to your little girl x

    ReplyDelete
  14. i am so glad i read this as i would never have imagined that a liquidtab could be so dangerous! hope your baby girl recovers from this traumatic event :(

    ReplyDelete
  15. I have been through exactly the same thing, and luckily my daughter got away with minor burns in her eye but no permanent damage. My daughter was around 4.

    There should be much better packaging. When quizzing my daughter ( she was well aware of kitchen dangers ) she said they looked like the kiddy bathbombs and was bathing her toys.

    We have kept up with yearly eye tests as her eye was burnt but nothing has arisen from this.

    Hugs to you and your little one.

    ReplyDelete
  16. hope she recovers quickly, I never had these when kids were little but never realised they were so dangerous

    ReplyDelete